Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74HC165 Wire Length!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

I want to connect 8 switches to 74HC165.The problem is switches are placed in 100m length.

Will this 74HC165 can detect this signal?Supply is 5V.

Bad idea. I mean, not a good plan, just...um bad idea.

That much wire is a big lightening bolt detector, or some other form of zap noise, not to mention the other myriad of problems you will encounter. How did you get stuck doing this design?

Hi Mike there is a building & it has 8 rooms.Each room have a switch.We want to display the room number when somebody has press the button.

The displaying stuff we can do.The only problem is the input switches wire length.Don't know whether this 74HC165 IC can detect that signal.

Last edited:
The opto coupler is a good idea.
You need to be carefull with the power supply for the switches and optos, a separate supply from that used for the 74HC etc and logic would be ideal.

JimB

5KV RS232 transceiver chips are less expensive than optos ... put the HC165 at the far end and drive out clk,ld, and bring back d. at that distance they are still good for 2400bps

I don't see the problem with a huge length of cable.

It should be fine as long as they're some diodes at either end, Schmitt triggers are used and the speed is kept low enough.

If ringing is causing many pulses then connecting a resistor to match the impedance of the cable is probably a good idea. You obviously won't know what the impedance is so you'll need to experiment but I'd start with a 600R resistor across the input at the end of the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back