Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74hc series maximun Vcc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

confounded

hi, i posted recently about a frequency divider (÷ by 16) but now i have found a 74hc4040 IC. Can i use this in my circuit? My Vcc is 9v, am i limited to just 5v with a 74hc4040? what is the maximun you can use with the 74hc series?
I also read that you should tie all unused pins to either high or low, is this just ground them all?
I am trying to reduce my input frequency by 16 (eg 32/16 = 2) the circuit diagram wants a CMOS4040 but i dont want to get this if i dont have to.
Thank you for your help

Read the spec sheet, look under "Absolute Maximum Ratings" for the absolute maximum voltage on that chip.

Tie unused INPUT pins to ground. Do not tie unused outputs to anything.

Why don't you look at the datasheet for the SN74HC4040 IC?
1) The absolute max supply voltage is 7.0V.
2) The recommended max supply voltage is 6.0V.
3) You must never tie outputs high or low (it creates smoke).
Instead all unused inputs must be tied high or low depending on their function.
4) The CLR (reset) pin 11 is grounded for the counter to run.
5) The CLK (clock) pin 10 transitions must be 400ns or faster.

Pin 5 has the clock frequency divided by 16.

thanks for your help. The philips datasheet i am using does not have Vcc max listed, i assumed everyone just knew the max Vcc for the 74hc series and so they dont list it.

from what I know, the C in the HC means CMOS. Complimentry metal oxide semiconductor. It should handle up to 15V on Vcc.

from what I know, the C in the HC means CMOS. Complimentry metal oxide semiconductor. It should handle up to 15V on Vcc.
No.
Look on the datasheets.
HC is High Speed Cmos that has silicon gates instead of metal gates like old ordinary 4xxx series Cmos.
The 74HC ICs have much higher output current and much higher frequency response than the old ordinary 4xxx series.

The C means CMOS.
Yes.
But the H means High speed, high current and a recommended max supply voltage of only 6V.
Micro-controllers are also made of High Speed Cmos and also have a max recommended supply voltage of 6V.

We are interested in the maximum voltage for a HC series IC. It is 7V. They are pin for pin compatable with thier TTL counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back