Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

741 to drive motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abes137

Hi guys,
I am controlling speed of motors using a PWM microcontroller board having 5 Amp drivers. It works fine for small DC motors running at 12 VDC.

I now have a heavy DC motor (1 hp, 180 Vmax, 5 Amax). I am planning to use LM741 as an inverting amplifier with gain 15 to amplify the output of the PWM signal by which I can control speed of this motor.

Is this the correct solution? Any better solutions welcome. :)

The 741 opamp was introduced 45 years ago to operate only from a plus and minus 15V supply. It is slow and has problems with frequencies over only 9kHz. It has a high voltage loss on its output if the output current is more than only 10mA.

We do not know what frequency your PWM operates at and we do not know how much current and what voltage level the drivers need.
Much better amplifiers are available today.

180v sounds like an industrial servo motor, you can get sevo controllers that will take ttl pwm, or pulses.
If you really want to build your own then you could build a current amplifier and connect it up to the output of your existing pwm controller, your probably better tapping off the existing controllers logic level signal and using that to trigger a couple of mosfet drivers and then to a pair of power mosfets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back