Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7 segments multiplexing

Status
Not open for further replies.
When multiplexing displays, are the transistors required? I am running 3 displays using a PIC16F88 with no transistors, will this destroy the chip? Each segment is pulling about 1mA. They are common anode with the anodes driven by PORTA, and the cathodes on PORTB.

As long as you have suitable current limiting resistors in place, then it's no problem - but it's usual to use a transistor to feed each display, and drive the segments directly - in order to give a higher drive current.

My LED matrix tutorial feeds 64 LED's directly off two ports and works fine, and is plenty bright enough.

I'm using high speed switching transistors when doing multiplexing in SSD.

I'm using common cathode type standard size SSDs.For the transistors mostly I use 2N 2222 ones.Collectors are driving the SSDs.

well transistors are used for some purposes, like u need high current or external source to display ur displays, or if u have Common Anodes and ur program runs displays as common cathodes and u dont wana the change the program.

but u can run them without transistors as long as u have limiting resistors, these r needed even if u run with transistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back