Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7 by 10 scrolling led matrix with pic16f84a

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmuigai

Hi guyz,
I am delighted to have come to this forum. I'm new to pic programming and so far i have managed to make a 7x10led matrix using a pic16f84a and a cd4017 up from 7x5. I have simulated some text on proteus 7.9 and it seems to be doing alright. However, when i implement it on hardware I have a slight problem. It doesn't scroll all the characters. I have tried changing the scan speed, the clocking speed for the 4017 in code and even changed the crystal. I have tried 3.59mhz, 10mhz and I am currently using 20mhz. I am currently scrolling 8 characters which is quite an improvement. unfortunately, the higher the frequency, the higher the speed so that its less legible. The 7x5 had all the above issues.
My code is currently using less than 10% of the maximum (1024 words). Anyone with insight as to how to go about it, please help. Btw, i use assembly since am not familiar with c or any other HLL.

I doesn't matter what crystal you use.... You need to work with a compromise... Each led needs to be lit for a reasonable time ( so you can see it ).. If you use an interrupt to light the leds at the correct time, your visual effect will be better.

Look at Nigels tutorials (link in my signature) There is an interrupt driven LED matrix in asm... Start here.

just saw this. I'm headed to the link right away. Thanks man, I'll keep informed on my progress.

thanks a lot Ian and everyone else who contributed. finally got an asm tutorial on refresh using interrupts. i've never used them before. :eek: time to learn a new thing. hope to have it working in a few days. keep you posted!

hi bmuigai looking at your name it seems you are from kenya,and also from my tribe,u and i are one of the few kenyans who seem to know ,though not much, something about pic micros.i have a similar project and my problem is burning the hex file to the pic.i use my own jdm programmer.i need your help on this.we can also share ideas on other projects.my email is kihiudn@gmail.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back