Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6V power supply from 11-12.5V battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt.brinker

I am looking to create a circuit that will provide 10A@6Vdc and stay at 6V even with a slowly decreasing input voltage. (11-12.5) Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I will be searching through here as well as trying to come up with something on my own in the meantime

The only overall efficient and useful way you could do this is with a basic buck style switchmode converter. 10amps is a bit of power so you'll need some relatively beefy components on the power handling side of things but it should be very doable, and provide good regulation down to a completely flat battery.

The only overall efficient and useful way you could do this is with a basic buck style switchmode converter. 10amps is a bit of power so you'll need some relatively beefy components on the power handling side of things but it should be very doable, and provide good regulation down to a completely flat battery.

It'll be tough to come up with an inductor that doesn't saturate with peak currents of ~20A (roughly twice the average output current).

Last edited:
It's either that or what, a linear regulator that wastes 60+ watts of power?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back