Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

69 kv Transmission line annual maintainance

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordError

Need some tips. What would be the best work checkllist for yearly maintenance of 69KV transmission lines? Upon cleaning the terminals of PT and CT what should be the chemicals used, is it distilled water? or else? What should be the standard things to be done prior and after the maintenance. please advice. thanks

cheeersss!!!!

marcus

WTF?? Are you planning on doing this on an "amateur" basis or what? DIY powerline maintenance?

A question like that indicates that you have absolutely no knowledge of high-energy industrial systems. One false move with a tool, hand or anything can cause an arc and arc blast that can kill and/or severely burn anyone in a 20-foot radius. NECDIGEST magazine just had an article about just such a foolish scenario where undertrained and poorly managed techs got themselves maimed for life on a lot less voltage than that. My advice is to stay away. If an employer is wanting untrained employees to perform such maintenace here in the U.S., they should be reported to OSHA who will be very quick to cite the employer and levy some nasty 5- and 6-digit fines.

Dean

Prior to maintenance?
*** ISOLATE AND EARTH the feeder ***

A few suggestions might be to:

Inspect timber poles and crossarms for cracks or decay.

Inspect all insulators for cracks or other defects. Replace any faulty insulators. Clean insulator sheds with a clean and dry rag.

Check busbar bolts and terminal bolts for tightness.

Distilled water?? Definitely not. Clean contacts with a non-metallic scourer pad. On moving contacts (ie isolating switches) we use a thin layer of "Rocol" copper anti-seize. If contacts are silver plated, be careful not to remove the silver plate by over-vigourous scrubbing.

Are you working in the industry? Or is this for an assignment? I hope you don't live up to your username (LordError). Especially when dealing with transmission voltages.

Note that my suggestions are by NO MEANS an exhaustive list. Just a few pointers.

Quoting Mr Error in another thread on this board:

"we will be having our annual high voltage transmission line maintenance. any suggestions on the works to b e done, checklists. do's and dont's, heheheh. "

heheheh ?

What sort of a comment is that! A high voltage line is no a computer game or a simulation, there is no reset button.
Death is permanent.

You need some competent personnel, obviously you are not.

JimB

should there be comments

Phasor thanks for your data, all those are done already. Actually ive been supervising these maintenance works for three years already. there are checklists that i made based on manufacturers maintenance activities. i just want to know what are others suggestions. who knows there are others things important that i miss on my job.

yes its true, life is at stake, ur be roasted chiken if u miss a quote up there in the wires. one of my problems is the sparking of CT and PT terminals after cleaning. we use steel brush to scrub off the dirts and put electrical grease afterwards. others sparks a while but when time passes by it goes out then but others dont. in effect we have to shut down the line again to rectify the matter. should it be because of the grease or tightness?? i dont know, what do u thnk guys.

if someone has a checklist for high voltage line maintenance out there please share, thanks in advance.

cheeersss!!!!!

marcus

Sharp pointy things will give more discharge at high voltages than a perfectly smooth surface. My experience of steel brushes is that they leave a matt finish, which is basically to say a surface with lots of tiny rough bits. I can imagine that with time these might burn off.

Is it true that when linemen work on really high voltage transmission lines that they cannot shut down, they ground themselves to helicopters hovering around the line?

I heard it the other day from an electrician at work, and I don't know if he was flipping me crap or what.

--mindctrl

Is it true that when linemen work on really high voltage transmission lines that they cannot shut down, they ground themselves to helicopters hovering around the line?

I heard it the other day from an electrician at work, and I don't know if he was flipping me crap or what.

--mindctrl

I guess so. They had an iMAX about that at the Smithsonian Air Mueseum last year. The process created some specticular arcing as the helicopter approached the transmission lines. I forgot what their equipment for doing this was called, but it was all harmless. It would be cool to see that kind of work going on in person.

mindctrl said:

Not crap at all. Live line maintenance is quite common - it's quite ok to handle live transmission lines, as long as there is no path for current to flow through your body, ie, you are not grounded, or touching another phase. It's the same as the 'bird on the wire' idea - ever noticed that birds sit on live wires, but are unaffected?

I have a video of helicopter live line maintenance somewhere at work - I'll see if I can upload it somewhere.

I agree

yah live high voltage maintenance is quite common. a person can only be electricuted once a complete current path is established. Birds on high voltage wires are not electricuted since no current will flow to their body.

But linemen doing these live high voltage maintainance must be very careful not to touch the other phase of wire, otherwise there will be a line to line connection, there will be a current flow now. The linemen will be like roasted chicken then once this will happen, hehehehe.

marcus

Here is a Picture I took a number of years ago of guys doing Energized work at "Ontario Hydro" in "Canada" This is on a line at "750 KV" and the Guys are Wearing Metalized Conductive Suits.

They are using an Insulator Tester that I designed and Built.

Gary

Attachments

• 750kv-a.jpg
    750kv-a.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,263
WOW !!!

LordError said:
Actually ive been supervising these maintenance works for three years already.
marcus
Hmmm - obviously kept a close eye on the job then :roll:
At our site we would have so much fun if one of our "engineers" asked us this question - they would NEVER live it down!
I find it simply incredible that anyone claiming to supervise HV live working would ask such a question on an internet forum - you have NO IDEA who is answering and what their "qualifications" are.

Maybe if you got decent staff/contractors and a knowledgeable supervisor you wouldn't have to keep re-working faulty joints! Are you aware of the power lost in arcing joints? ever seen one go bang?

I'm amazed :!:

DigiTan said:
I forgot what their equipment for doing this was called
I know it as a Faraday suit - 20th century "chain-mail" to prevent any chance of equalising currents flowing through the linesman's body.

Maybe if you got decent staff/contractors and a knowledgeable supervisor you wouldn't have to keep re-working faulty joints! Are you aware of the power lost in arcing joints? ever seen one go bang?

a smile will just make you see what you've done. a small input would mean much for one who is open to everything even if he knows what they say is/are wrong.
:lol: :lol: :oops: :lol:

marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back