Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

60Hz notch filter using IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

max1000000

Hi,

I need to make a 60Hz notch filter, preferably using an active filter IC like the MT10 or the LMF100. My input signal is between 0.1mv and 10volts. I am trying to find a schematic online but I have had little luck.

I could bang something out using my novice interpretation of the LM100 datasheet but I am certain this wouldn't be an optimized circuit.

Does anyone have a recommendation for me?

From what I understand it's a pretty easy to use chip. Forest Mims has projects based on in it volume 2 of his Circuit Scrapbook series, and he says
The circuit ... is extremely easy to use. The only significant constraints are to observe power supply limits and CMOS handling precautions. Otherwise, operating the circuit is a snap.

The circuit he uses just has a clock input on pin 10 and configuration resistors between pins 2 and 4 and between 3 and 4 and also an input resistor on pin 4. If I had my scanner

Also, perhaps looking at the schematics for this kit might help:

https://newenglandqrp.org/nescaf

100 microvolts to 10 volts? Good luck!

If you aren't required to use an IC, a passive filter would do a good job. Search for "twin T". You'll need 3 resistors and 3 capacitors.

As I said in the other website, you will be disappointed when it removes 60Hz but leaves the harmonics of 120Hz, 180Hz and higher ones behind.
Therefore you also need a switched capacitor lowpass filter IC.

Last edited:
Or better yet, stop trying to paint yourself into a corner. You could probably achieve several orders of magnitude above anything a filter could do for you if you eliminated the source of the noise instead of trying to filter it out afterwards. Understanding power supplies, and filtering them properly is actually more important to keeping unwanted noise out of a circuit that coming up with specific filters to deal with it after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back