Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6 volt dc circuit to 12 volt lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jace33

Can anyone be so nice to let me know i have a 6 volt circuit that has led lights on it and i want to take the led lights off it and replace them with 12 volt 10 watt trailer lights. Is there something you can put where the leds go so the current is still the same on the circuit so it dosnt blow it up and then use my 12 volt lights.

can anyone help me with this please.

thanks

yes thought of a relay but was hoping someone could help me with it as not realy clued on about relays and how they work so i would replace the led lights with the relay and connect the 12 volt lights to a different power source and then connect to the other end of the realy is that right

jace33 said:
Can anyone be so nice to let me know i have a 6 volt circuit that has led lights on it and i want to take the led lights off it and replace them with 12 volt 10 watt trailer lights. Is there something you can put where the leds go so the current is still the same on the circuit so it dosnt blow it up and then use my 12 volt lights.

can anyone help me with this please.

thanks
How about a logic MOS-FET? U'l conect the gate trought a 4K7 resistor (can tweak a bit the value) to the 6V circuit. The 12V/10W lights wil be conected in series with the drain.
The MOS-FET can be IRL530 (actualy almost any IRL..IRLU...IRLD) or whatever. Just google for a logic MOS-FET that can conduct few amps (buy a oversized one...it's quite cheap:D ).

How about posing your circuit?

That way we can actually see the nature of your output pulse.

Jace33...Don't PM me...just post the question in the thread! I've atached a schematic below. The source of the MOS-FET is conected to negative rail of the lamp's PS. The lamp is between the positive rail and the drain. About gate impulse...Just conect the wire from the positive pin of the LED to the MOS-FET's gate trought the 4K7 resistor. Conect the negative wire to ground.
Yes I think that the FET is beter then the relay. No moving parts, cheaper, beter switching times and so on.
U can use a normal MOS-FET (not a logical one) but will disipate more heat.

Attachments

• sch1.PDF
    3.3 KB · Views: 383
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back