Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5v to turn on 24v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouch that hurts

I have a problem I am working on a home security system and I am trying to make it a screamer system so maybe when they break in this time the neighbors will notice it. Any way I need to figure out how to take a 5v signal and get it to turn on a 24v system to run the speaker. Any ideas??? I would appreciate any help, and thank you in advance.

A transistor (high speed switching, low drive current) or a relay (low-speed switching, but more ideal closed/opened switch) will do the job of allowing low power signals to control higher power signals.

And this is where I say, to get anymore help you will need to provide information (unless you are just looking for the name of a part that may work and nothing more).

If you are in a Western country you can most easily get them from Digikey.com, Mouser.com, or Newark.com. Of course you can also probably get them from these distributors too if you are in another country but there may be better ways.

5v to turn on 24v pt.2

Like I said in my last post, I am not very electrically literate. In fact this is first endeavor into this type of thing. I am trying to make my alarm system into a screamer so my neighbors might notice when I am robbed next time.

Anyway I need to be able to take a five volt signal and operate a 24v system for the siren.

In my last post a person told me to get: A transistor (high speed switching, low drive current) or a relay (low-speed switching, but more ideal closed/opened switch) will do the job of allowing low power signals to control higher power signals.

What I need to know is this what I am looking for?
https://www.newark.com/jsp/search/b...+174901+163689+163702+163655&_requestid=85940

5v to turn on 24v pt.2

Like I said in my last post, I am not very electrically literate. In fact this is first endeavor into this type of thing. I am trying to make my alarm system into a screamer so my neighbors might notice when I am robbed next time.

Anyway I need to be able to take a five volt signal and operate a 24v system for the siren.

In my last post a person told me to get: A transistor (high speed switching, low drive current) or a relay (low-speed switching, but more ideal closed/opened switch) will do the job of allowing low power signals to control higher power signals.
What I need to know is this what I am looking for?
Solid-State Panel Mount Relay
Contacts:SPST-NO; Output Voltage Max:240VAC; Output Voltage Min:24VAC; Control Voltage Max:24VDC; Control Voltage Min:5VDC;

No, that won't work very well because of this:
Control Voltage Min:5VDC
You want it to work down to around 4V so there is some margin for error. Also, I would assume that the siren runs on DC and not AC....
The best way would be to drive a 24V relay like this:
**broken link removed**
Substitute 24Vdc for the 12V in the diagram above.
Above image is from Nigels site:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back