Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5v to 3.3v - SPI Tranlation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noggin

Someone posted an article a while back which shows how to translate a SPI bus (or likely any bus really) from 3.3v to 5v so that one bus could work at both levels using only 1 fet and 1 resistor per line. I've been trying to find this document, but I have been unsuccessful. I have found Microchips 3.3 - 5v Tips 'n Tricks document, but I couldn't find what I was looking for exactly in there. I think I've replicated the circuit, but I wanted to compare it.

Are you talking about 1 pull-up resistor connected to the "output high voltage supply" and one pull-down FET driven by the input line? (Will only work for unidirectional busses...so for SPI it is fine, but not for I2C).

Last edited:
See if this fits your requirement.

Attachments

• 5V_3V_level_conv.gif
    5V_3V_level_conv.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,284
Are you talking about 1 pull-up resistor connected to the "output high voltage supply" and one pull-down FET driven by the input line? (Will only work for unidirectional busses...so for SPI it is fine, but not for I2C).

yes, thats what I'm talking about. When I saw it, I didn't realize that it was unidirectional. The SPI bus I have implemented uses the same line to transmit and receive on so thats probably why it wasn't working out in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back