Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5V signal to drive a 12V solenoid ideally with varying solenoid activation times

Status
Not open for further replies.

emrysj

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've done any electronic stuff so would really appreciate your opinion as to whether this project is a simple one or something I should try and get help with.

What I have so far:
A 12v solenoid attached to 12v battery with a push switch to deploy the solenoid. Obviously the length of the solenoid down stroke is dependent on the time the switch is pressed.

What I would like to do:
Automatically deploy the solenoid. The set up involves a computer controlled x-y stage, when the stage has reached the target position a signal is sent (5v always high drops to 0v very briefly).

I have been looking into optoisolators and relays to communicate between the two circuits, the other problem is that I would like to be able to control the solenoid 'on' time between 1 and 10 seconds (variable capacitor?).

Much appreciated if you've managed to read through my amateur ramblings to this point, I would be very grateful for any advice you can provide.

An 555 timer driving a transistor switch for the solenoid should do the trick. The solenoid will need a reverse-biased diode across it.

Solenoids don't make precise, variable position linear actuators. They are good for two position (full in and out) actuators. Precise linear actuators are ordinarily made using stepper motors that rotate a threaded shaft through a threaded "nut". The nut moves linearly along the shaft.

Hi, thanks both for your replies, will try the 555 timer set up, hopefully I won't need too many additional components to get this working.

ccurtis, we are currently testing the set up with a solenoid, and the accuracy and reproducibility of the z position isn't overly critical at the moment. I have quotes for micron precision actuators (around £900) so a £15 solenoid will do for this first round of testing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back