Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5v jump up to 9vs

Status
Not open for further replies.

soupnatizzle

Hey, i am in need of a simple solution for a simple problem.

I keep forgetting to turn off my DMM and 9V batteries are expensive. so i want to create a way to plug it in when needed.

I have a few old USB cables around and i always work with a computer right next to me.'

How can i jump the voltage up to 9v from the usb's 5v, im not worried about the current as the DMM uses next to nothing.

do i need to use a transformer? and if so im going to need some help with the stepup, 5 to 9vs is a 55% increase so a 1:1.5 ratio transformer?

Last edited:
A charge-pump chip, or build one out of 555

i actually just starting using 555 timers this semester and have only been using them as frequency generators.

I am at a lose for how i could use one to increase voltage

A transformer only works with AC, whereas a battery and your DMM are DC, so we can rule that out. The quickest way is to buy a 9Vdc plugpack. If you are keen on learning you are going to need some sort of step up switching power supply. Have a look at webbench on the National Semiconductor website. www.national.com

i actually just starting using 555 timers this semester and have only been using them as frequency generators.

I am at a lose for how i could use one to increase voltage

Look at this simulation. Note the current drawn from the USB supply. Delivers ~9.2V @ 10mA.

Attachments

• 555pump.png
    555pump.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 137
A thought just occurred to me. The circuit I posted is not isolated from the computer's third-prong ground. Not a good thing to have hooked up to a battery-powered DMM. You can no longer do floating measurements, plus you have a serious shock hazard. Now that I think about it, your idea should be dropped. Just learn to turn off the DMM or buy one like my Fluke which just goes to low battery drain sleep mode...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back