Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5V digitial to 3V digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

richacm

Hi,

I have a PIC chip that I want to output a digital signal from (easy). However the component that receives this signal has a 3V max on it. How do you normally go about reducing the voltage on the line? Should I put 3 diodes (1N914) in series on the line to drop the voltage by 2.1V?

Thanks,

Craig

hi,
You could use a HEF4050 non inv CMOS buffer, will tolerate input voltages higher than Vcc.

I agree with eric, but a different chip. Use a 74AC245 supplied with 3VDC. It is a non inverting buffer that takes the 5VDC input and outputs the 3VDC signal, creating a effective level converter. the 245 can sink/source up to 50ma in some cases and can be supplied from 2VDC to 6VDC, but in your case use 3VDC.

I agree with eric, but a different chip. Use a 74AC245 supplied with 3VDC. It is a non inverting buffer that takes the 5VDC input and outputs the 3VDC signal, creating a effective level converter. the 245 can sink/source up to 50ma in some cases and can be supplied from 2VDC to 6VDC, but in your case use 3VDC.

This may have worked for you in the past but this is not a good idea as it exceeds the Vin spec of the part.

The LVC logic family can operate at 3v and tolerate 5Vin.

hmm I wonder why I said AC, maybe because its what I have on hand, sorry about that.

They both have a C in them, easy mistake :)

Hi,
there are many approaches for logic level translation, one of the simplest is to use open-collector (or open drain respectively - LS,HCT...) logic - gates, inverters, buffers (e.g. 74xx03,74xx05,74xx07 ...) - for low speed logic it is ok, just connect the pull-up resistors to the voltage you want for Vh (3.3 or 5V) for the output.

Another approach is to use specialized ICs, for example from MAXIM: (MAX337x, MAX339x)

**broken link removed**

or there is a chip from TI: (SN74LVC2425)

Octal Bus Transceiver And 3.3-V To 5-V Shifter With 3-State Outputs - SN74LVC4245A - TI Product Folder

just an example, there are more possibilities to implement the level translator

STMicroelectronics - Level Translators

Petr

Petrv, it has already been covered! thank you for the extra info but I think the OP has figured it out hopefully :)

I know I just wanted to point out the additional possibilities. By having more choices it is possible to select the solution most suitable for the original problem :)

And perhaps it can help someone else who is dealing with a similar problem as logic level translation is a common issue, especially between 5V and 3.3V logic.

Petr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back