Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5V DC to 12V DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiealex

i would like to step up a DC 5V to a DC 12 V... which DC-DC converter step up regulator would be most appropriate ?

How much output current do you need?

Ken

richiealex,

I think you're missing the point. In order for us to recommend the "most appropriate" converter, you have to give us the specifications that we request. Stepping from 5vdc to 12vdc is only the first spec. We then need to know how much current (µA?...mA?...A?) the 12v output needs to supply to your load. Questions about other spec's, such as regulation, isolation, size restrictions, will follow. It always helps to tells us at the start exactly what the project is, as there can be many different approaches to "step up a DC 5V to a DC 12 V", depending on what you are doing.

So please fill us in. :)

Ken

i would like to step up a DC 5V to a DC 12 V... which DC-DC converter step up regulator would be most appropriate ?

Try this. It is pretty simple. I get 14 watts out of it. You have to wind the two primaries opposite direction to get them 180 degrees out of phase. For 5 to 12 volts you won't need much step-up on the secondary. Make both primaries about 10 turns and the secondary should be.....try about 30 to 50 turns. You will need a ferrite toroid. I suggest Amidon maybe an FT-80-43. That is (F)errite (T)oroid / .8" diameter / no. 43 mix.

Hope the schematic comes out. Never posted one in here before.

Good it came out! Forgot one thing. I'm using a Motorola 3055 transistor.

Attachments

• Armstrong.GIF
    Armstrong.GIF
    3.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Last edited:
It's expensive though.

Sure it's relatively expensive. But judgeing from the information richiealex has provided, I suspect that researching the info on boost converters, gathering the hardware, assembling and testing a working converter is not his strength.

As the old saying goes: "We can make it Good, Quick, and Cheap!...Which two do you want?" ;) My suggestion is for Good and Quick. :)

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back