Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5V 500mA DC to 1V 500mA DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

binarycow

Hello, this is my first post :)

I've come across a very interesting situation, and I think I've found the answer. Short story: I have 5V 500mA DC, and I need 1V 500mA DC.

Long story: I have a KVM Switch, with no power cord. I also have a shortage of outlets in that area. Installing more, or getting a power strip is not an option (I'm in Iraq, limited funding/supplies - and not as much fun!).
My first thought would be to buy a power adapter. I can't find one that provides this voltage/current. My second thought was to build an AC to DC converter, and step down the voltage appropriately.
Then I stumbled across some interesting articles, and it turns out USB provides 5V 500mA DC. There's gonna be 3 computers next to the KVM switch, all with an open USB port.

Bingo. Thats what I wanna do. I researched it, and I came up with a Zener Diode. I've come across a couple schematics too, but not being an electrical person, I dont quite understand.

So, if you could please, I was wondering if you could please explain to me how the hell people know what size resistor, the voltage of the Zener diode to use, etc. I dont want you to tell me the answer, I wan't to know why :)

Also, with that, any alternate recommendations other than a Zener Diode?

Nobody makes a zener diode with a voltage as low as only 1V.
Resistor values are simply calculated by using Ohm's Law. Look it up in Google.

An LM317 adjustable voltage regulator IC has a minimum output voltage of 1.25V. Since you want only 1.0V then you must make your own voltage regulator that isn't easy for a noobie.

I would use an LM10 which is an opamp with an adjustable voltage reference and a power transistor to make a 1.0V at 0.5A voltage regulator.

1) Supplying 1V to a logic device is quite unusual. Do you know what's in it?

2) I haven't seen a lot of KVMs, but all that I have seen were powered by the computer (5V from the PS/2 connectors).

The KVM switch has written next to its power socket thingy (dont know the technical name for it) 1V 500mA.

I havent been able to test it without supplying external power, as I don't have PS2 ports on my computers (The appropriate adapters are on order)

Audioguru: Thanks for the advice, I will look into it today while im at work.

Well, I got my PS2 to USB adapters today, and apparantly it doesn't require external power. It pulls it from the PS/2 ports. Thanks for that suggestion mneary, I never even would have tried it lol.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated :)

I am still curious how I would pull this off, if it were a different voltage. Perhaps you guys would be kind enough to maybe help me to understand how a 12V to 9V adapter would work? Not just a schematic, but WHY things are set up the way they are, so I could, in theory, do it later, on my own ;)

Thanks alot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back