Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5v 2Amp usb charger without handshake

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman_LA

how risky is building a 5v 2Amp usb charger without any handshake capability? Would devices just pull the amps that they need/can handle, or am I running the risk of breaking devices?

That's fine
Normal USB wall warts / sockets are not actually "chargers" anyway, they are just 5V power supply units.

Anything connected will only draw the current it needs.

The one i use on my desk is 6A rated.

The "Charger" name is a misnomer, a leftover from earlier devices, where the battery regulation and control electronics were in the external unit.

Any device that charges from a USB socket has the actual charge control electronics in the device itself.

USB-C power units can have the facility to select different output voltages via handshaking, but the charge regulator is still in the device being charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back