Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5amp to 30 amp current booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fity

Here is my project. I have 2 x 190watt solar panels which operate at around 38volts and give ~5amps each. I need to build a voltage regulator which puts out 6 - 9 volts and up to 30 amps. I can build a voltage regulator easy enough, but the current boosting is new to me. Would a linear current booster do the job? Can anyone suggest a circuit?

Thanks
Troy

Not linear!

You have 38 volts at 10 amps (solar panels) that will not output 10 amps but that is another problem.
You want 6 to 9 volts at 30 amps.
Why 6 to 9 volts. Is this to charge 6 volt batteries? Do you want current limit? Limit the output current to 30A or less and keep the voltage below 9 volts.

A switching power supply could buck the 38 volts down to 6-9 while the current increases to 30 amps.

Thanks for the reply.

I am building a solar powered swimming pool chlorinator. 6-9 volts is what the mains powered unit puts out. I don't need a current limit as the solar panels will current limit giving the 5amps right down to almost zero volts.

Can you suggest a circuit?

The figures given imply a minimum eff. of about 47% based on power conversion calcs. SMPS is good, even a DC to DC step down Transformer based converter should meet that spec.

The figures given imply a minimum eff. of about 47% based on power conversion calcs. SMPS is good, even a DC to DC step down Transformer based converter should meet that spec.
Solar watts are: "on a very clear day, at noon, at the equator, at high altitude" and every thing just right. A 380 watt panel(s) is about right if you need 180 to 270 watts.

We need a switching power supply with a input range of 20 to 40 volts.
The out put voltage should not get above 9 volts.
The out put current could be limited at 30 amps or we could let it go to 60 amps if the panels are delivering 380 watts.

What are the panels you are using? More data is needed. I need to know the IV curve.

A simple power supply will not work! If the panel can supplying more than 270 watts then the power supply can supply up to 9 volts and/or 30 amps with out a problem. If the panel is supplying 100 watts and the supply is trying to output 270 watts then the panel's voltage will drop to near 0 volts and no power will make it to the load. The supply must be smart and test the panel to see how much power can be delivered at this moment in time. This is how the solar inverters work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back