Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

556 timer, ICs in general...

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintdave

Hey all, my first post! WHOO HOO!!

I have very limited knowledge of electronics. I just picked up a basic starter kit from make magazine's maker shed...Its an introductory electronics kit. Its very easy to follow, but lacks alot of details about certain things..

It comes with a 556 timer, and labels what each pin is called, but doesn't exactly tell what can be done with each pin..
so my question is this...On the 556 timer, what does each pin DO, and what do I use each pin for?

Thanks is advance for any info!!!

Have you looked at the data sheet for a 556?

Do you know how to find "data sheets" for IC's??

Google works very well, just put the part number into the search bar. Pick the hit which takes you directly to one of the large IC companies, like TI, National, Fairchild, etc. Here is the TI page. Click on the DataSheet icon.

Ok, got the datasheet for the 556, and its good, but not exactly what I'm looking for..
I just need a plain english answer for what the threshhold pin is for, or the trigger pin, etc....

Ok, got the datasheet for the 556, and its good, but not exactly what I'm looking for..
I just need a plain english answer for what the threshhold pin is for, or the trigger pin, etc....

hi,
Do you have a PC.? if yes, you could download this 555 module. https://www.electro-tech-online.com/blogs/ericgibbs/125-simple-7555-cmos-timer-calculator-v1-0.html

The +V pin is the supply, the 0V[ gnd] is 0V of the supply.
RESET /RST pin is the reset pin used for resetting the timer, usually connected to +V
Vc is the frequency modulation voltage pin, usually connected to 0V via 10nF cap.
OUT is the output signal, normally LOW going HIGH
Depending upon how the 555 or 556 is being used the DIS, THRESH have slightly different functions.
But are mainly connected to the timing resistors and capacitors.
TRIG can be connected in a number ways, but often used as an external trigger source input for starting the timer.

Basic, but does it help.?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back