Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzmann

Hi All ,

i need to generate a puls using the IC 555 , actually i don't know anything about the equations of the time and frequency calculation ,

so i have tried it on protous with the following schematic , 10 K,

now i need to get output with T= 0.5 second ,

how much is the resitors and the capacitor i have to connect ,

and is this connection is descriabed as "stable " or monostable ?

here is my schematic ,

thank you

Attachments

• 555.gif
    555.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
watzmann said:
Hi All ,

i
and is this connection is descriabed as "stable " or monostable ?

here is my schematic ,

thank you

Your circuit is "Astable" (has no prefered state) aka oscilator. It produces a train of pulses or "square" wave.

Pin 4 (reset) should be connected to +V (pin 8)

It is a good practice to add a small capacitor (10nF= .01:mu:F) between pin 5 and ground, and another one between +V and ground (pins 8 and 1).

The other clasical configuration is the Monostable (one state) or one shot (gives one pulse when triggered)

EDIT: Corrected the ".001:mu:F" that AudioGuru detected

Last edited:
10nF is 0.01uF, not 0.001uf.
The datasheet for the LM555 shows 0.01uF on pin 5 to ground on all the circuits shown.

audioguru said:
10nF is 0.01uF, not 0.001uf.
The datasheet for the LM555 shows 0.01uF on pin 5 to ground on all the circuits shown.

You are right, of course it is 0.01uF

I wrote ".001F" without the leading 0, then when I saw only 2 ceros it didn´t "look" bad :confused: :confused:

i built the circuit , with R1 = 68K and R2 = 39K C = 0.1 micro
but when i test it , the output pin3 indicate 4.5 volts all the time , i thought it'll flash the volt from 0 to 5 ,

i know i'm wrong , may be the frequncy is so hight , tell me plz

Didn't you do the simple arithmatic that is shown in the datasheet for a 555??

The capacitor charges for 7.4 thousandths of a second and it discharges for 2.7 thousandths of a second. Each cycle takes 10.1 thousandths of a second which is a frequency of 99Hz. It is much too fast to see flashing and it is too fast for your voltmeter.

Replace the 0.1uF capacitor with a 10uF capacitor (use the correct polarity) and the output will make about one pulse per second.

The output of an ordinary 555 goes high to 1.4V less than the positive supply voltage if it does not have a high load current. So if your supply is only 5V then the output goes high to 3.6V. It is shown on the datasheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back