Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

i have a kit from jaycar, it's called the jacobs ladder kit, but i can't get the arc to climb the ladder. i feel that the frequency is wrong. i heard somewhere that if you change the resistance between pins 7 and 8, it will change the frequency? also if there are some caps in the 7 and 8 pin circuit, what do they do?
thankyou

Pin 8 is connected to the +ve supply.
R1 is connected via Vcc to pin 7, you can change the frequency by changing the value of R1. Just refer to the datasheet, it tells you eveything, frequency, duty cycle, etc.

Seems like its using ASTABLE circuit.

R1 is in between the pin 7 and V+ (pin8)
R2 is in between the pin 7 and pin 2, 6
C is in between the Pins 2, 6 and 0V

If any changes happen to these R1, R2, C the output frequency will be changed.

R1 and R2 is good be in the range 1kOhm to 1MOhm.
If you don’t need a much sensitive Duty Cycle then R1 < R2 so the MARKTIME and SPACETIME are almost equal.

Choose C first or leave it there. Then adjust the R2 or replace R2 with a Variable resistor To get different frequencies.

The exact ASTABLE Frequency can be calculated from the formula given in the data sheet.

what does it mean if there are some capacitors between the pins? here is a pic of the circuit. new.JPG

The capacitor at pin 2 & 6 to ground, R1 and R2 determine the oscillation frequency, as mentioned by Gayan. If there is a capacitor from pin 5 to ground, it is used to bypass the noise of the supply. It doesn't affect the oscillation frequency.
Just refer to the datasheet of 555 timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back