Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hectcruz1221

Hi. Good day.
I am a hoobiest and I am on an automatic egg rotator project wherein I need a circuit that could make a motor to work every 3 hours, mayabe with the use of 555 timer, could that be possible? Thanks

Or a 4060 in RC oscillator mode feeding a 555 monostable.

Another alternative is a 555 oscillator feeding a 4040 12 bit ripple counter that feeds a second 555 monostable.

Microcontrollers are nifty, but the work you save on circuitry you more than make up for on skull sweat. Unless the OP wants to learn how to program and build with a microcontroller it is not a good option, as the amount of work climbing the learning curve is much greater. For a total beginner it may be insurmountable.

Here is a similar circuit I came up with a long while back, it was a 1 minute pulse every 24 hours. It could be adapted pretty easily...

temp5-gif.57800

Attachments

• temp5.GIF
    temp5.GIF
    7.5 KB · Views: 2,556
1. In the circuit above, you would never use TP1 as it has no drive-capability.
2. The 1min timing can be derived by gating two outputs. This saves the 555.

TP1 was meant for the LED circuit on the right side, which needs no drive capability.

The 555 is not in need of saving, the circuit works as is and has been tested.

Instead of snipping my posts, why not offer an alternative for the OP?

Last edited:
I am just suggesting that the 555 can be removed and the circuit will be ideal for the OP. Gating the IC will reduce the current considerably if the project is battery operated and will be the simplest design you can get.

And how will you control duration of the pulse, given the OP has specified such, or vary it if it needs a longer or shorter duration? This is a very common problem in these kind of circuits that has been address in my design.

If you have a better solution then by all means contribute.

Last edited:
Which would require a major rewire as opposed to a variable pot for a minor change. Do you design this way?

Last edited:
I guess the OP would need either two timing circuits or a timing circuit with an output to run the egg turner motor for a minimum of time until it hits a limit switch.

The eggs are certainly to be turned in an incubator for better development of chicken.
Therefor it's not recommended to make the circuit a drive for a roundabout (caroussell). The chicken become dizzy inside the egg shell. :D

Fixed three hours won't be a non-plus-ultra for an egg turner. Depending on the size of the birds to hatch the eggs have to be turned within shorter time intervals with chicken other than exotic small birds.

Here is a dual timer requiring a 1 hour clock input signal to count down for the pauses and for the activation time. Since the activation time will be the same the counter won't require a coder switch and migh be wired for one hour intervals. (A one hour interval can be generated by using a 1Hz output signal of a quarz driven clock divided by 3600 using a RED3000/3600 circuit with internal Johnson counters in an 8 pin dual in-line package)

The limit switches for left and right swing can be used to interrupt the motor circuit.

Boncuk

Attachments

• TURNER-ACTIVE.gif
    TURNER-ACTIVE.gif
    18 KB · Views: 353
  • TURNER-OFF.gif
    TURNER-OFF.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 436
I like the digital timer approach, I've been thinking of something similar for a martial arts timer. Feedback is always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back