Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer (t= 13 minutes) On-time = Off-time

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmeup

I'm looking to build a timer (it was suggested I look to use a 555) to turn on and off a load (which I will use an external relay driven by the timer). The on time will equal that of the off time. The time will be approximately 13 minutes.

I've done a bit of research on creating timers using the 555 chip and all the designs I found were to achieve cycle times in under 1 second. So, when I started to modify the values of the R & C to achieve 13 minutes I started getting some pretty large numbers. Then I found a software program called 555 Timer Pro. When I used to check my calculations the program warned me that the high resistor requirements needed to achieve t=13 minutes would result in too little current to drive pin 6.

So, now I'm out of my area of knowledge.

Can anyone suggest a design that would meet my needs here?

Thank you in advance.
Frank

Any additional direction would be very helpful. I really don't know anything about "micro-controllers".

Thanks for the guidance.
Frank

Have the 555 drive an n stage counter. If the 555 puts out 1 Hz and 13 minutes is 780 seconds, a 10 stage [2^10 = 1024] counter should do it.

The other way is to cascade CMOS 555 chips.

Last edited:
Use a CD4060 which is an oscillator and a divider or a CD4541 oscillator timer.

How accurate does this need to be?

If you use cheap 20% tollerance ceramic capacitors for the oscillator, the time could vary between 10:24 and 15:48 minites.

555 could not be used for a t=13 minutes for sure
u can use a 8051 microcontroller with the program using wait states for 13 minutes

Have the 555 drive an n stage counter. If the 555 puts out 1 Hz and 13 minutes is 780 seconds, a 10 stage [2^10 = 1024] counter should do it.

The other way is to cascade CMOS 555 chips.

I think Willbe's idea is a sound one. A 555 driving a CD4040 with the divide by 9 output would give equal times of 6.5 minutes if the 555 is set for astable period of about 0.76 seconds. The 4040 would probably drive a solid state relay to turn power off and on. With the 555 a regulated power supply would not be needed as the 555 period would not change with a unregulated power supply where the 4060, or 4541 both as oscillators and dividers would change frequency with varing supply voltage.

555 won't cut it. A small microcontroller could do it.

I agree but I am sure that is no surprise to anyone here :p

For under a $1 you can get a PIC that can be programmed to do exactly what you want and with fewer parts.

Once more I forget where (and I can not find it) a site that used to sell small pics to replaces timers and various other simple chips/apps. They ceased their commercial effort and offered the code to the public for free download.

Last edited:
For under a $1 you can get a PIC that can be programmed to do exactly what you want and with fewer parts.

... and for another 49$ you can purchase a programmer. :D

Hans

... and for another 49$ you can purchase a programmer. :D

Hans

Maybe... but a LVP would cost next to zero. I have wanted to play with the low voltage programming but with a number of programmers on hand have not yet found the motivation. You would have to get a chip the supported LVP.

Or if you have a friend with a programmer you could use a boot loader.

IMHO either you want to program or not. Cost is not a real factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back