Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

Hi guys,

I need a little assistance here. I'm building myself a geiger counter cuz well, they're cool.
I'd like to use a 555 timer to generate my 500V+ as I have a few on hand. I just can't figure out what kind of transformer I need to step up the voltage.
I assume I need something with a very high turns ratio like 100:1 but I'm having trouble finding transformers to buy based on that metric.
Current demand is basically nonexistent. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Zach

Your are looking for a flyback transformer. You might be able to use an old CRT TV flyback transformer which generated the tube anode voltage. They generate 10kV or more at the output but with a reduced drive voltage and/or more input turns, the output voltage can be reduced to what you need. Here's are article on flybacks. Of course you need to add a diode on the output to get DC.

Go to a photography store and ask if they will give you a one-time camera that they sell then people return the camera for the store to print the photos. They throw away those cheap cameras.
The camera has a transformer and oscillator to generate a high voltage for the flash tube.

Hi guys,

I need a little assistance here. I'm building myself a geiger counter cuz well, they're cool.
I'd like to use a 555 timer to generate my 500V+ as I have a few on hand. I just can't figure out what kind of transformer I need to step up the voltage.
I assume I need something with a very high turns ratio like 100:1 but I'm having trouble finding transformers to buy based on that metric.
Current demand is basically nonexistent. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Zach
I have some small transformers and a schematic that should do the job. Send me a PM, so we can arrange shipment to you. I am located in Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back