Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

just-a-learner

Hi all,

I have found the timer circuit below, and i want to change it so that the timer cycle does not start until i release the switch. I am totally stumped. . . Can't think of a way to do this.

I have changed the 22uF cap for a 100uF cap to alter the delay.

please, please help

Attachments

• 555-mono-relay.GIF
    555-mono-relay.GIF
    2.9 KB · Views: 156
The 555 timer starts when pin 2 goes low. The 100k resistor holds it high and releasing the switch will cause the charge stored in the capacitor at the switch to go higher, so the 555 does not start.

Change the switch type to one that closes its contact when you release it, or add an inverter to the existing switch.

I can't change the switch, because it's an existing switch on the equipment I'm adding this circuit to. How could I make an inverter? maybe use a transistor?
I understand what the components do, but I can't get my head round how to get them to do what i want. . .

If it's just a normally open switch then a transistor inverter is the best solution.

Attachments

• inv 555.GIF
    inv 555.GIF
    3.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Just a NPN transistor then? I thought about that, but wasn't sure if it would work. . . i thought that was just the same as the switch. . . doesn't it just make the circuit when the switch is pressed?
I'm probably wrong, as the name suggests I'm just learning!

The closed switch shorts the base-emitter of an NPN transistor which turns it off. When the switch is pressed and its contact opens then a resistor from the base to the positive supply turns on the transistor causing its collector to go low and it triggers the timer.

Note: The 555 timer needs the capacitor at its pin 2 because it will never finish the time period with its pin 2 still low.

just-a-learner said:
Just a NPN transistor then? I thought about that, but wasn't sure if it would work. . . i thought that was just the same as the switch. . .

I'd made a mistake, I'd got the switch and resistor the wrong way round! I've corrected it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back