Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer formula's

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd7jur

Ok so i tried posting this in the Theory forum, but the forum wouldn't let me...

So i need to know the formula's for a 555 timer for my C programming final project. the problem states:

"Create a program that will provide all 555 timer components necessary based upon the required frequency and pulse width."

so now the question is, what is this formula, i'm assuming it's set up in astable configuration, because of the frequency part.

Thanks for any help

The formula you are looking for is on the 555 data sheet.

Hi,

here they are.

Boncuk

Attachments

• NE555.gif
    NE555.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,229
Last edited:
test test test ignore

Can you make some reasonable assumptions based on what sort of components are available. eg: spec'ing a 434 uF cap or a 1.72 k Ohm resitor would be difficult to actually implement anyways.

Your teacher wants you to take in Freq and pulse width. I would interpret that as enter Hz, then enter a number representing pulse time high. Of which the easiest way I am aware of is as a percentage where 0 % is always low and 100% is always on. So for 0 > pulse width < 100 would represent what percentage of the period is on.

Something like this for pulse width per cycle:

10% -_________

20% --________

30 ---_________
90 % ---------_

calcs

see the attached zip file

Attachments

• 555 calcs.zip
    68.9 KB · Views: 224
Can you provide some more of the constraints for your design? Is your teacher requiring that your program provide component values for a specific 555 chip or generic values. Can you use integer frequency or will you also need to provide values for decimal freq and integer or decimal duty cycle?

GOT IT!!!. I built the program, and it works.

File Attached, check it out.

Thanks for all your help. with a lil help from one of my insturctors, i found on the data sheet more info to help me.

Attachments

• ET156 Final Project.zip
    40.1 KB · Views: 155
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back