Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 Timer Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
**broken link removed**
R1 = 10k R2 = 68k C = 10µ = 1Hz

Last edited by a moderator:
That's assuming that you can get exact values, 99% of the time that just is not going to happen. Why do you need this 1Hz oscillator? Are you making a clock or something?

The 1hz oscilator Colin post will work, it will also only be approximately a second and useless over any moderate length of time. If you need an actual time base of 1 second the easiest way to get it would to to use a small isolation transformer from the mains supply and run that through some logic, power companies have to keep very precise frequencies to match power, while there will always be some slight variation here or there the main frequency over time is quiet accurate, many old school clocks used synchronous motors powered from mains,.

The easiest way to get a 1Hz output is to buy a $3.00 clock with crystal and chip.

Last edited:
How do you get a 555 to produce 1Hz? You start with this circuit followed by a divide by 60 counter.

Last edited:
Divide by 60 counters would work much better in this situation. All of the digital clock kits I've seen us a 32kHz crystal that then gets devided down to a 2Hz signal or a 1Hz signal. That would be better if the device had to be portable.

Viper, if you Google "555 timer calculator" you'll find lost of pages that let you determine component values for various frequencies and vise versa.

We didn't say you couldn't, we said that it will be vary hard if not imposible to find a resistor that will match your calculatios exactly. As a result the frequency will be off very slightly but that deviation will be noticed over time.

We didn't say you couldn't, we said that it will be vary hard if not imposible to find a resistor that will match your calculatios exactly. As a result the frequency will be off very slightly but that deviation will be noticed over time.

Like almost everyone else who's responded, you've made the error of ASS-U-ming what the O.P. wants to do.

Just to remind everyone, here's what they asked:

Anybody here know how to setup the configuration in order to get a 1Hz output from this chip?

Notice they didn't say "with enough precision to keep accurate time", or anything like that. So basically, we have no idea what their exact requirements are.

So to me, the best answers, lacking further information, are those that gave the answer by giving circuits and component values. If you thought that you couldn't answer the question as posed, not knowing what precision was required, then the thing to do would have been to ask the simple question, "what kind of precision do you need?". But nobody asked that, did they?

By the way, the other best answer, rather than point to one of the hundreds of circuit sites out there in Web-land, would have been to post a link to the 555 datasheet, which, surprise! has the answers to all these questions and more.

Thanks for the schematic. That was exactly what I needed. It didn't have to be seconds exactly but within that time frame. One thing that still puzzles me is how those resistor and capacitor values match up with 1Hz according to f = 1/(.693 * C * (R1 + 2R2)). Also I noticed that your 5 pin is not connected to anything. According to wiki diagram it should be connected to 10uF capacitor. Is that wrong or what?

I'm not sure how much clearer my question needs to be.

f = 1/(.693 * 10E-9 * (10000 + 68000 * 2)) = 988 Hz...not 1Hz

How do you get 1Hz?

And why would you say don't forget the parenthesis? They are clearly there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back