Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 switched solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

the cracken

i want to make a supply for a solenoid driven by a 555. but i have no idea how to go about it? the supply current is 600ma at 12v what transistor do i use and how do i work out the values of the other components?
thanks tim

i want to make a supply for a solenoid driven by a 555. but i have no idea how to go about it? the supply current is 600ma at 12v what transistor do i use and how do i work out the values of the other components?
thanks tim

hi,
Do you want the 555 to be a monostable, that activates the solenoid for a given period when a switch is closed.?

Last edited:
i dont know how to up the voltage and current coming out of the 555 timer!

hi,
I would use a N MOSFET something like a ZXMN6A07F.
A 555 at 12V will drive that fet ok.

Last edited:
how did you find the right fet so i dont need to ask in the future :)
i guess ill need a resistor on the drain or sink. ill need a 20 ohm resistor wont i?? do i need anything on the gate?
thanks

how did you find the right fet so i dont need to ask in the future :)
i guess ill need a resistor on the drain or sink. ill need a 20 ohm resistor wont i?? do i need anything on the gate?
thanks

hi,
Tell me how long you want the 555 to operate the solenoid for and how you plan to trigger the 555 monostable.
I will post a circuit, I am assuming that you are using a 12Vdc supply.?

hi,
Tell me how long you want the 555 to operate the solenoid for and how you plan to trigger the 555 monostable.
I will post a circuit, I am assuming that you are using a 12Vdc supply.?

I haven't got that far yet :) actually im going to be controlling two solenoids that will be firing at different time's but i haven't worked out how fast they need to fire or the time in between. i probably wont be able to work it out either so ill just make it adjustable and play with it.
it needs to have two settings

1# will be a one shot were the first solenoid fires then the second with a specified time in between (probably less than 1/2 sec (same for both settings))

2# will be a monostanble that fires the first and second (same time in between fired solenoid but needs to be adjustable) at a rate of >1sec but they cant fire at the same time!

thank again for any help

annoyingly this program doesnt work in visa (i apologist for vista). there are web sites that i can find that can calculate the values!
is there a way i could use one single 555 chip as a one shot and a multi vibrator ((monostable and an astable )sorry my teacher was american :) ) without switching in and out capacitors& resistor?
do you think its easier in the end to use 2 555s??

annoyingly this program doesnt work in visa (i apologist for vista). there are web sites that i can find that can calculate the values!
is there a way i could use one single 555 chip as a one shot and a multi vibrator ((monostable and an astable )sorry my teacher was american :) ) without switching in and out capacitors& resistor?
do you think its easier in the end to use 2 555s??

hi,
It would be easier to use two 555's.

Did you download and install the Visual Basic 5 or 6 runtime files in your Windows/System directory, before you tried to run that 7555 calculator.?

visual basic?

The Visual Basic runtime files are files required to run applications developed using Visual Basic. That was the language Eric used to develop his application. However, on a system running Vista you should have absolutely no problem downloading and running the nice 555 calculator Eric linked to.

Sitting here at work I just used Eric's link and downloaded the file and it runs just fine on this Vista system. Why do you say it won't run on Vista? Did you get an error and if yes, what was the error?

@ Eric, thanks for a nice application.

Ron

The Visual Basic runtime files are files required to run applications developed using Visual Basic. That was the language Eric used to develop his application. However, on a system running Vista you should have absolutely no problem downloading and running the nice 555 calculator Eric linked to.

Sitting here at work I just used Eric's link and downloaded the file and it runs just fine on this Vista system. Why do you say it won't run on Vista? Did you get an error and if yes, what was the error?

@ Eric, thanks for a nice application.

Ron

hi Ron,
Many thanks for the feedback regarding Vista, I use XP Pro, so I couldn't check it myself with Vista.:)

Eric

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back