Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 oscillator???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so. For time-sensitive applications you need a crystal. Otherwise, you may use an RC network, without any external chip.

No, if you want acuracy and don't want to use a PIC, use a counter and oscillator IC like the CD4060.

I'd trust the internal oscillator of a PIC over a 555.
If you need a reliable clock a crystal is usually your best choice.

As suggested, a 555 would be completely pointless - the PIC can use a simple resistor and capacitor as it's oscillator, and will be at least as stable as a 555. But if you need any sort of precision, then use a crystal.

As Nigel said it is pointless to use a 555 as an oscillator for the PIC. However it is possible to make a 555 timer extremely stable when using film capacitors
for timing, and you don't need the Vcc to be highly regulated.

I don't see the point in using a PIC if you're just going to use an external timing RC network unless you wany long delays. A TS555 costs less than a PIC and will be as accurate as a PIC with an external RC timing network.

Please don't get what I'm saying confused, of course a using PIC using the internally trimmed on-chip RC oscillator is more accurate than a 555.

Hero999 said:
I don't see the point in using a PIC if you're just going to use an external timing RC network unless you wany long delays. A TS555 costs less than a PIC and will be as accurate as a PIC with an external RC timing network.

I think you're missing the point (or I am?), the question is about using a 555 to replace the crystal on a PIC - not about using a PIC to replace a 555.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back