Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 or FPGA and speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbird

I was experimenting with getting sound from my FPGA board or from a 555 Timer (so I create a digital circuit that can send out square wave at various frequencies).

The thing I don't understand is this:
My square waves are all zero to 3.3 volts (they are all positive). I run them through a simple NPN transistor to get some amplification (my 555 is 10mA source max) then to the speaker. So is it correct to say then that I am only using half the speaker's ability (so should a speaker be driven from -x to +x rather than 0 to x -- or does it not matter) -- and if it does go -x to +x then how do I go from a 555 that is 0-x to use the full range of the speaker.

Can I drive the speaker directly from the 555 or FPGA or do I need a capacitor in between.

As you can see I am just trying to learn about how to get digital sound to a simple speaker so any links that would help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:
It depends on what you want to do.

An FPGA is overkill for just a squarewave.

A 555 is perfect.

A TTL 555 can drive loads up to 200mA.

A CMOS 555 can drive loads up to 100mA.

A NE555 can easily power an 8Ω speaker, depending on the supply voltage you might even need a resistor to limit the current.

You can use a capacitor to couple the speaker to the 555 which can also be used to limit the current to the speaker.

So is it correct to say then that I am only using half the speaker's ability

Yes, if it's all positive like that the speaker isn't going the other way. If you put a cap in there it will travel in both directions and might sound louder. If you use a 4Ω speaker it will be louder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back