5150 troubleshooting - Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt minds

Hey guys.

I'm new to this forum, and I actually made this account specifically to ask this question. I play in a hardcore band as one of two guitarists, and I play live out of a Peavey 5150 head that I recently purchased off of a good friend of mine. The head had it's problems at first, and I learned about a variety of common 5150 problems, such as the volume loss problem that I read about everywhere, easily solved by contact cleaner in the jacks in the back.

The main problem I am experiencing is that it's simply not as loud as it should be. When we play as a band, I'm often up as far as 7, when the other guitarist in the band is around 2, and he still overpowers me. He also played out of a 5150. It's extremely irritating.

All of the power tubes and preamp tubes are new (I know because I bought them and installed them myself). There are 2 JJ 6L6's and 2 Svetlana 6L6's, and 5 mesa 12AX7 (ECC 83). I did not test any of the new tubes in my troubleshooting process. I have all new monster cables for my set up that I recently purchased (at the same time I bought the tubes), and I run through a Boss NS-2. I have tried without the pedal; no difference. I run through to a 6505 cab at 16 ohms, and I am always extremely tedious in how I'm set up, and how long I let it warm up, etc. I never leave my standby on long and I take extremely good care of my equipment.

After the cost of the 5150, the tubes, and the cords, I'm flat broke with no money to spend to take this to a tech. I don't want to keep stressing the amp by putting it on 7, and it still not being as loud I should be. Any suggestions, or anyone with similar problems? I heard that there was an easy fix, but the person that told me could have just been blowing smoke at me.

Please help. Thank you

For a start NEVER buy Monster cables - they don't help anything, and just rip you off - you've wasted a LOT of money for nothing.

The most common fault on valve amps is the anode loads of the triodes going high or O/C - check the voltages on the anodes - pins 1 and 6.

You're also not stressing the amp by putting it on 7, the numbers are totally meaningless.

I think what Nigel and Chippie are saying is that there is no easy fix.

noted hahaha

Nigel: I saved some bucks on the monster cables and dodged the price bullet, so that's why I got them.

Other than that, I am by no means an electrical engineer. So, what I basically want to know is whether or not by me taking a look at this stuff myself if I can cause any permanent damage to the amp? If so, should I just be better safe then sorry and cut my losses money wise, and take it to a tech?

Btw, thanks for the input, guys.

I am assuming you have no tech background. I doubt it, but if your band mate has the same amp, maybe he would allow you too swap tubes, and see if you can find a bad one. Like I said I doubt he will, but that is your best bet. Other than that you should take it to a shop.

One other thing. I would not own a tube amp without a complete set of spare tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…