Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

50's car record player

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron carpenter

I need help.I have this car record player,made in the late 50's early 60's. mechanicaly I have it working fine,by accident I reversed the polarity.I burned up the device that went to the car AM antenna .The Connection y'd into motorola antenna plug.There were two wires from the needle cartridge,12 volt +/-,and a shielded wire to the antenna .This is going into a very nice restored carwith only an am radio.The device was all sealed in some kind of resin material making it impossible to repair.I am not experienced in electronics, and having a tough time here. If I had help, I could build something myself, or if anyone knows of something out there that could be purchased and made to work, I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks, Ron

Hi Ron,
repairing the original electronics could be done but it would be a labor of love akin to the restoration of the vehicle. It could be done though, spares could be sourced and the original circuit reverse engineered.

What I would suggest is re-casing more modern electronics from a equivalent portable stereo inside the existing vintage case. This moves it from the realm of electronics into the mechanical where you should feel more comfortable.

If the turtable output is already about 1MHz AM; whatever is inside the mystery box could be replaced by a tiny 12V relay; Common to the radio antenna coaxial conductor; Normally Open to the turntable output coaxial; Normally Closed to the antenna coaxial.

When the turntable be on, a wire energizes the relay passing the RF to the radio.

If the mistery box is the RF generator/modulator with only audio from the needle and power input; there has to be a schematic on the web to make one.

Miguel

thanks

Thanks for the response.I did open up the black box,small psb two metal transistors,tunable coil,six resistores,ceramic capasator and a black thing?maybe another resistor (3/16 in. dia 1/2 in. long with a wire out each end).there are no markings on any thing because I used lacquer thinner to soften encasement so I could get inside.I tried to find out what the transistors were but no luck,there are three rows of two numbers and letters.1st transistor 3d,1d,gd;2nd transistor 5d,1d,gd. the resistors i could remove and measure if they are not burned.The cap I have never measured one before.The coil I damaged removing the junk they sealed it all in(a few of the very small cloth rapped wires are broken).

Try building this one :

**broken link removed**

Eliminate R1, and substitute the microphone (violet) with the capsule wires.

For sure there is more on the net, but that seems simple enough. Good luck,
Miguel

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back