Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

50hz booster for subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.

palesha

I saw one subwoofer amplifier with 18db 50hz boost.
What type of circuit they must hv used?
I will like to make one in my present subwoofer preamplifer.

Typically such filters are active types using op amps.

Unless you know the characteristics of your room and subwoofer, a boost at 50 Hz may just end up making the subwoofer sound boomy. If you don't have one, the best way to characterize your subwoofer in the room is with a sound level meter and a frequency test source (generator or test cd).

For accurate matching of the sub to the room, an equalizer such as the Behringer DSP-1124P can be used which goes for about $100us. It's use is described at https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfdguide/.

A boost of 18dB requires 63 times more power from the amplifier.
So if the regular speakers have 10W then the sub-woofer needs to have 630W.

Why do you need to boost 50hz so much?

I have an equalizer circuit that has a 10db peak at 35Hz. Then my 8" woofers sound and vibrate things like a sub-woofer. They rolloff below 60Hz so the EQ makes a big difference.

I haven't heard mains hum for many years. Years ago even my magnetic phono didn't play mains hum.

How odd Here in the UK the one thing that we do not need to boost is 50Hz. I agree with Nigel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back