Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 volt 1000 mA reduction from 12 volt supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schidtztorm

I'm trying to figure out a way to design a simple 5 volt 1000 mA regulator, or at least a way to drop the 12 volt supply down to 5 volts with 1 Amp. I don't have access to IC's or zeners, so I'll have to use voltage dividers to set voltage. And here's the real kicker! I have to make this with a FET. Enhancement/switcher type. But it's good for many amps, and up to 60 volts.
This is a type of contest between a couple of colleagues of mine and I'm setting them up for it. Lol. I just want to make sure I have a realistic design before I dish it out. They don't think it can be done without risks of frying the gadgets plugged into it.
Can anyone help me with this. If you need the FET info, I'll give it to you, or send you the datasheet. I'm hoping for a general design that will work on most FETs of this caliber.

The FETs are #1

Power mosfet N channel
6F433439
D30NF
SQM110. 06L

High speed switching mosfet
H7P0601
4. K3
PO 24
P channel

Last edited:
10 amp!! You'll need a huge heatsink.