Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 scrolling arrow indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer MosFet transistors to bipolar transistors because of less voltage drop.

The BS170 has an ON-resistance of 1.2Ω at a gate voltage of 10V, resulting in a voltage drop (loss) of 24mV at 20mA, whereas a bipolar transistor normally drops 0.7V.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Here is a simple Kitt scanner circuit that can be modified
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

The Knight Rider circuit is available as a kit for less than $15.00 plus postage

You can add transistor buffers to increase the current.

Last edited:
I prefer MosFet transistors to bipolar transistors because of less voltage drop.

The BS170 has an ON-resistance of 1.2Ω at a gate voltage of 10V, resulting in a voltage drop (loss) of 24mV at 20mA, whereas a bipolar transistor normally drops 0.7V.

Boncuk
No.
An ordinary little transistor like the 2N4401 has a collector saturation voltage of only 0.05V at 20mA, not 0.7V.
Maybe you were thinking of a huge 2N3055 power transistor at 9A.

Attachments

• transistor saturation voltages.PNG
    transistor saturation voltages.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 406
No.
An ordinary little transistor like the 2N4401 has a collector saturation voltage of only 0.05V at 20mA, not 0.7V.
Maybe you were thinking of a huge 2N3055 power transistor at 9A.

Very true, but still more than double the drop of a BS170 under the given conditions.

So, 'scuse my ignorance again but, on small circuits with very few 'voltage drop' components, a bipolar transistor would be ok, but when the circuit it large and therefore the total cumulative voltage drop is large, a mosfet is preferable? Is that about right?

Angie

Each (unwanted) voltage drop in a circuit requires power.

In the example given the bipolar transistor dissipates 0.001W (1mW) while the MosFet transistor dissipates 0.00048W (480µW).

You decide which one you use to preserve energy.

Boncuk

wouldn't an ULN2803 be a better choice as far as cost and parts count?
not sure of current capabilities but I recall 500ma?
seeing how the op is fairly new at this using mosfets might be a mistake as static electricity and soldering heat not to mention cost. $1.50+ per mosfet as opposed to $1 for the uln2803 with 8 outputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back