Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 band graphic equaliser project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am making a 5 band graphic equaliser project. For that I'll be using 5 second order band pass active filters using opamps,1 power amplifier,1 summer and a preamplifier. I have divided the audible frequency range into 5 centre frequencis viz-50Hz,250Hz,1kHz,4kHz,16kHz. Now the problem I don't know the "boost" and the "cut" level that should be applied? Is there any standard levels for that?(I read at most places as 12dB)

What's the power amplifier for?

It is for impedance matching with loud speaker.
OK. Normally when the term "graphic equalizer" is used it means a device that works just with the low level audio signals. So what you are building is an audio amp with a built-in equalizer. :)

Looking at your frequencies, 16kHz seems quite a bit too high, as it's really about at the outside of the audible range (actually well outside it for some of us old farts). Even 10kHz is probably too high. How about an octave above 4kHz?

The 16 kHz might be used to get rid of hiss, not so much as tone control.

The OP should look at a "parametric equilizer" rather than a "graphic Equalizer". In the former the center frequency is varied and there are very few bands.

The 16 kHz might be used to get rid of hiss, not so much as tone control.

I'd say it's too high even for that; 16kHz is barely at the upper threshold of hearing for us humanoids. Now, if you're designing a graphic equalizer for dogs ...

I agree that a parametric equalizer would be even better. 3 bands would probably be plenty.

carbonzit, what are the cutoff frequencies for a 2nd order bandpass filter at 16khz?

Last edited:
Most people with normal hearing can hear 16kHz and higher as the "sizzle" in music. Vinyl records and CDs go a little higher than 20kHz. FM radio and TV are down only -3db at 15kHz.

The bandwidth of a second-order bandpass filter is very broad. If it peaks at 16kHz then it will still have plenty of output at 2kHz.

A boost of 12db is 8 times the power that has no boost which is enough to destroy a tweeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back