Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5.1 surround sound on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitso

G'day all

Just purchased a 5.1 surround soud system and want to connect it to laptop, but after reasearch i found laptops do not have a 5.1 supported sound card.

I was looking on ebay and came across this (**broken link removed**)
Its a 5.1 external usb sound card. The problem is that from my surround sound system i have 3, stereo jacks 3.5mm, which needs to plugged into an input to control left front and back,right front and back, sub and center. That usb only has 2 stereo jacks?????

Any ideas on what to do?

thanks

Soundblaster makes what you want.
**broken link removed**

They almost caught me, too. It says virtual 5.1. That means 2 channel "enhanced" (in software, I presume).

Good news is that it's worth the dollar you paid for it (but not more).

the hardware you posted is crap, I have the same thing with me here, just ordered it a few weeks ago, the hardware I got (manufacturer Commdow) did not contain the driver CD, I downloaded and installed it, the hardware worked for some time (the sound was lousy) and them completely stopped working. Now whenever I plug in the device I get a message 'usb device caused malfunction..etc..)

If you have to buy something get it from a reputable manufacturer like Soundblaster, there is another company that makes this here is the link **broken link removed**

I should have bought from them...

Something i was thinking is making 3 stereo jacks in parrallel, which plug into the headphone jack of my laptop. I understand its not going to give true 5.1 surround sound, but instead stereo being played by 6 speakers. Is this ok?

Should be.

You could add a load of potentiomets to the board - that way you could have individual speaker control.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back