Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

>4v squarewave oscillator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firnagzen

Hi,
I'm building this circuit: **broken link removed** (Yes. Again.)

I need an oscillator for it, though, and I need something that's compact and preferably doesn't require me to buy some special parts. Could someone reccomend me one? I need one that's quite small. (Ps. I have some SMT 2n2222's, if they can be used...)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the last time, i eventually used a 74HC14 IC. But it's quite bulky, so I'm thinking of replacing it. Hence the question.

2 transisors and a frw other components can make a oscilator.Its not the most stable and the output is a bit smothed sqare wave.

**broken link removed**

I recomend you simply use a smd 555 timer

I was actually trying to avoid the multivibrator for the stability issues, and anyway, the calculations then become a big headache. (What's TON, then?)

SMD 555's are a bit too fiddly for me to solder easily, and not as easy to get. (I got the 2n2222's some time ago because I had no other choice. I'd like to avoid more SMT parts, thank you very much! ;) )

Just buy some small soldering tips and SMT becomes easy.

I hate it when people complain about how hard it is to solder simple SMT packages, all it means is they need to get a smaller tip, wear glasses and improve their soldering skills.

Firnagzen said:
I was actually trying to avoid the multivibrator for the stability issues, and anyway, the calculations then become a big headache. (What's TON, then?)

SMD 555's are a bit too fiddly for me to solder easily, and not as easy to get. (I got the 2n2222's some time ago because I had no other choice. I'd like to avoid more SMT parts, thank you very much! ;) )

hi,
Have you looked at the Joule Thief it does the same job and its even smaller.

If you havn't already, Google Joule Thief

The Joule Thief is not so efficient for Luxeon star 1W LEDs!

Hero999, I agree that SMD packages are not that hard to solder, but that's if and only if you can obtain (Read: etch) a suitable circuit board. And I don't do enough soldering to make it worth the effort to etch circuit boards, see? (And please don't tell me about surfboards, I'm trying to make this as small as possible!)

Firnagzen said:

Hero999, I agree that SMD packages are not that hard to solder, but that's if and only if you can obtain (Read: etch) a suitable circuit board. And I don't do enough soldering to make it worth the effort to etch circuit boards, see? (And please don't tell me about surfboards, I'm trying to make this as small as possible!)
Hi,
The 'JF''s transformer size/rating can be increased to easily power a Luxeon 1W LED.

Firnagzen said:

You can solder SMT components on veroboard you know. 805 SMT resistors and capacitors can easilly fit inbetween the tracks and ICs can be mounted dead bug style.

Turn the IC upside down and glue it to the track side of the board. Use fine 0.15mm solderable enamelled wire to solder the leads to the required racks.

Hero999 said:
You can solder SMT components on veroboard you know. 805 SMT resistors and capacitors can easilly fit inbetween the tracks and ICs can be mounted dead bug style.

Turn the IC upside down and glue it to the track side of the board. Use fine 0.15mm solderable enamelled wire to solder the leads to the required racks.

Yup ben there done that and works well

The ordinary old 555 has a minimum supply voltage of 4.5V but has an output current of up to 200ma.
The Cmos 555 (LMC555, TLC555 and ICL7555) are guaranteed to work with a supply voltage as low as 1.5V but the output current is low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back