Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4510 on the fly count up to down

Status
Not open for further replies.

la.kings.99

Greetings all,

This is my first post on this forum. I've been playing with circuits and components for near 4 months now, and it is enjoyable. It's cool to get a glimpse of the logic and electronics behind simple things in life like a digital clock or tv remote. We press a button, and like magic, it happens and we don't think anything more of the complexity of the whole procedure.

I have a question on changing the count direction of a 4510 cmos ic.

I have access to the datasheet, and haven't seen relevant info on it.

I have two 4510 BCD counters connected to two 4511s which drive two 7 segment displays. That's all fine. I can control the direction through permament connections. I can also control the direction using an Arduino and programming. I don't want to use programming or a microcontroller on this project though. Instead, I'm trying to control the direction through two buttons (switches). One button sets the pin to high (up). The other button sets the pin to (low).

I figured that I could accomplish this through the use of one NC and one NO switch, but it doesn't seem to work. Is it possible to send a common (ground) signal through a physical switch? It should be, no, or is a lack of any signal essentially a common signal with some possible fluctuations?

Any ideas or leads that I could chase down would be appreciated.

Joel.

The chip counts up or down based on logic level on pin 10 of the 4510. All you need is a 10k pullup on pin 10 tied to a spst switch. One end of switch is tied to ground, other end to pullup and pin 10. When switch is N.O. circuit will count up, when switch is closed a logic zero is applied to pin 10 and circuit will count down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back