Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

433 MHZ Antenna Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquib

I am trying to desing a Helical antenna for the 433MHz ISM band.
I want to make the antenna as small as possible, but want a performance close to that of a 1/4 wave.

Design techniques for the helical antenna is what I am looking for.

Cheers
Aquib

aquib said:
I am trying to desing a Helical antenna for the 433MHz ISM band.
I want to make the antenna as small as possible, but want a performance close to that of a 1/4 wave.

Design techniques for the helical antenna is what I am looking for.

Cheers
Aquib

I would search the ham radio sites if I was you as 432mhz is a ham radio band and there are tons of antenna designs for their bands.

one example: **broken link removed**

Lefty

aquib said:
I but want a performance close to that of a 1/4 wave.

Then you need a 1/4 wave!
The performance of the helical is always worse than the straight 1/4 wave.

JimB

JimB said:
Then you need a 1/4 wave!
The performance of the helical is always worse than the straight 1/4 wave.

JimB

I think I might have mistaken what is being asked for. It sounds like you guys are talking about a helical wound 1/4 vertical antenna, where I was referencing helical wound BEAM antennas which have very high gain relative to a 1/4 antennas.

Lefty

Leftyretro said:
I think I might have mistaken what is being asked for. It sounds like you guys are talking about a helical wound 1/4 vertical antenna, where I was referencing helical wound BEAM antennas which have very high gain relative to a 1/4 antennas.

Yes, I think you were talking about completely the wrong type of aerial - but radio ham sites should have info on making what he wants, or at least the books should (ARRL or RSGB handbooks).

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I looked at the site suggested by Leftyretro and found that it has the equations to design the antenna.
From what I understand that a helical antenna can be used in normal mode(as a DIPOLE) by designing its diameter much smaller than its wavelength.
I want to use the antenna for a telemetry based sensing project and space contraint is a big issue.

Cheers
Aquib

Yes, we had a normal mode helix in mind.

So, what do you REALLY want?
An antenna the size of a 1/4 wave, or one with large gain? It is not clear from your posts.

If you want a large gain, you need something bigger than a 1/4 wave.
An axial mode helix or a yagi with significant gain, will be (much) bigger than a 1/4 wave.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back