Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

410 MFD 4000 VDC 18,000. Amp High Energy Capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I have 3 capacitors in parallel and a power supply in a metal case. I will sell the whole thing or I will part it out. I use it just for fun on July 4th. I discharge the cap bank through 6 ft of 1/8" solid steel wire. The wire vaporizes, the Boom sounds like a high powered rifle, the flash is like looking at the sun or 200 arc welders all welding at the same time. I got a free used 5KW flash lamp from the airport and flashed it the whole thing vaporized. Discharge this on a 1/4 mile of electric fence wire it looks and sounds like a 1/4 mile of det cord exploding. I bought 14 of these used sold them all 20 years ago this is the only one I have left.

410 MFD 5000 VDC 18,000. Amp High Energy Storage Capacitors Caster Oil Filled wt about 100 lbs. each cap. These are $1500 each brand new.

5000 Volt DC power supply. This would probably cost $500 brand new.

NL 7171 35,000. amp discharge tubes 3 each. These were $980 each brand new last time I checked 7 years ago.

Make me an offer. This is pick up only in Murfreesboro, TN 37129

Last edited:
They were used by GE to test new electric motors. The engineers said the caps bank was charged to a certain voltage and amp rating then connected to the new motor windings if the motor did not short out and discharge the cap bank then it was a good motor. GE closed and all the equipment in the building was sold at public auction. I had 14 of these units sold them all but one many years ago. I will get some photos.

So we ever going to get to see these things or what?

How about some prices and estimated shipping weights too? :D

Here are the photos of the capacitors, power supply, rectifiers, discharge tubes.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

The Discharge tubes are about $1000 each brand new. Go to this web page for prices. https://www.iclocator.com/NL7171_inventory.html

The capacitors are over $1000 each. I talked to sales they could not give me an accurate price on the spot.

I'm not sure what the power supply is worth, see if you can built it for less than $1000.

Make me a reasonable offer and your the new owner.

Last edited:
Gosh, I was worried about you. I even checked here.

It is good to hear you are still with us, but that is one powerful combination. I hope you don't sell it to just anyone who can scrape together the money.

John

I see there is a typo in the subject line.

Capacitors are 410 MFD 5000 VDC 18,000. Amp High Energy Storage Capacitors Caster Oil Filled......... EACH.

5000 Volt DC power supply.

This = 54,000. amps = 270,000,000. Watts.

This is one of the most fun toys I have ever owned. It sure is fun on the 4th of July, I can raddle windows for several blocks and it is LEGAL. Works great for making water explosions discharge into a table spoon of water it sounds like 2 sticks of dynamite exploded. A water explosion will blow a basket ball size hole in a 3/4" sheet of plywood. I know when water turns to steam its volume increases 1800 times.

Last edited:
So I can assume its a truck freight item or can it be broken down into UPS sized components?

You have my curiosity! :D

It will have to go by truck our you can pick it up at my house Murfreesboro, TN 37130

It probably weighs 250 lbs or more.

Been out of town for about 3 months.

The high voltage transformer weighs about 150 lbs.

The secondary coil wt is about 50 lbs.

The 3 caps wt is about 30 lbs each.

The 36" diameter stainless steel sphere wt is about 60 lbs.

Primary coil wt about 30 lbs

Spark gap wt about 10 lbs

This can be picked up at my house anytime after July 16.

I bought a house in Arizona. It will be easier to sell my toys than move them all from TN to AZ.

It can not be sent by UPS it is too large and too heavy. Truck freight maybe $400 or pick up only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back