Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4070 OR Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAce

Hey fellows, would love some advice on the quad OR gate IC chip. From playing with the EX-OR chip, I found I need to ground the inputs with a 10k res, so the input would fall back to LOW. Now the 4070 OR works a bit different from what I gather, beings, if any or both the inputs is HIGH, the output will be HIGH. Do I need to place a 10K between the inputs and ground?

Reason I'm asking, I dont have any OR gates on my bench, but would love to go ahead and get all the soldering done while I wait for my order to come it. Thanks.

The only time you need a pull-up or pull-down is if that CMOS logic input would float around; for example if you have a SPST switch connected to it, and with the switch open the input floats, or if that input is unused, e.g. you are using a 2 input nor gate as an inverter. Whether you need a pull-up or pull-down depends on the gate function. For an OR gate, an unused input would be pulled-down (the inactive state of that input).

All the gates will be used, whether "floating input" will be a problem with the OR chip, is what I'm wondering. The inputs will be getting 12v direct, either from a toggle switch, or from another Logic gate.

I'm setting up my own "traffic" lights for my N scale train layout.

Last edited:
For an OR or NOR, an input that comes from a toggle switch needs a pull-down. For an input driven by another gate, no resistor is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back