Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4066 Grounding Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksy

Hey, I'm having a small problem with a circuit that I'm trying to build. I really don't know much (if anything) about electronics, I just kinda follow instructions :D Anyway, this circuit amplifies input from a piezo and closes a switch with the 4066. The problem I'm having is that the switch stays closed for a long period even after any signal is removed. However, if I ground the control pin on the 4066, the switch will immediately open up again. Again, I really have no clue about electronics, but I'm guessing the caps connected to the control pins are for grounding? Would choosing a smaller cap make the switch open up quicker or is the problem something else completely? Thanks.

Attachments

• FNG7OKZFC2E8P7I.MEDIUM.gif
    FNG7OKZFC2E8P7I.MEDIUM.gif
    35.9 KB · Views: 154
I'm guessing the caps connected to the control pins are for grounding? Would choosing a smaller cap make the switch open up quicker or is the problem something else completely? Thanks.

Yes, it will. However, this is not a good way to control the timing.

The capacitors (C1~C4) store the charge from the diode and caused the long delay in opening.

You can control this behavior by placing a resistor in parallel to each capacitor.

**broken link removed**

A 100K value is a good start. This will shorten the delay to about 0.1~0.2 second. If the timing is not what you have wanted, you can use smaller or larger value resistors. A smaller value will cause the switch to open faster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back