Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4040 IC without divider

Status
Not open for further replies.

flim

Hello!

I've built my own little sequencer, following Sebastian Tomczak's instructions:

fun with sea moss (or, basic digital sound devices)

I'm a little annoyed by the 4040 IC for it devides my input signal (what is totally what I've expected, grin). I'm looking for an IC with a counter - but without the divider. (Modifications in frequencies shall be achieved only with the help of my resistors)

Would the 4017 be a good choice?

4000 series CMOS Logic ICs

Cheers!

Jonas

Hello!

I've built my own little sequencer, following Sebastian Tomczak's instructions:

fun with sea moss (or, basic digital sound devices)

I'm a little annoyed by the 4040 IC for it devides my input signal (what is totally what I've expected, grin). I'm looking for an IC with a counter - but without the divider. (Modifications in frequencies shall be achieved only with the help of my resistors)

Would the 4017 be a good choice?

Cheers!

Jonas

hi,
Look at this pdf, page 11 shows how to connect 4017's.

Attachments

• hef4017b.pdf
    103.6 KB · Views: 146
You do not need a CD4040 plus a CD4051. A CD4026 has up to 8 outputs and a CD4017 has up to 10 outputs.
You still need a clock oscillaror.

Hey audioguru!

Thanks for the info!

You do not need a CD4040 plus a CD4051.

I'm still quite new to breadboards, ICs etc - so I guess I'll stick to the plan :)

Just by looking at the schematics I'd think the 4017 suits my purpose quite well... Both have their clocks. And 4017's outputs "abdicate" division. But as I said, I'm a noob.

vs

Or were you referring to the option, not working with the 4051 combination after all?

Cheers!

Jonas

Hey audioguru!

Thanks for the info!

I'm still quite new to breadboards, ICs etc - so I guess I'll stick to the plan :)

Just by looking at the schematics I'd think the 4017 suits my purpose quite well... Both have their clocks. And 4017's outputs "abdicate" division. But as I said, I'm a noob.

vs

Or were you referring to the option, not working with the 4051 combination after all?

Cheers!

Jonas

Hey audioguru!

I've been waiting for a whole day now for my replies to appear in this forum. As I'm a noob I'll try it without any links, maybe this way my post shows up right away.

First of all: Thanks for the info!

Just by looking at the schematics I would have thought the 4017 suits my purpose quite well... Both have their clocks. And 4017's outputs "abdicate" division. But your right, replacing the 4040 with a 4017 (respectively reconnecting the pins) doesn't do anything.

So now I'm looking for a "4017 with a clock oscillator"?

Cheers!

Jonas

So now I'm looking for a "4017 with a clock oscillator"?

Cheers!

Jonas

hi,
There is not a 4017 with an inbuilt clk osc, use the 40106 clk shown in your first post to drive the 4017's.

Attachments

• 000esp04.gif
    000esp04.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
There is not a 4017 with an inbuilt clk osc, use the 40106 clk shown in your first post to drive the 4017's.

Hi Eric,

that's exactly what I did (replacing the 4040 with the 4017)... I've checked all connection pins - not a sound...

Cheers,

J

Hi Eric,

that's exactly what I did (replacing the 4040 with the 4017)... I've checked all connection pins - not a sound...

Cheers,

J

Hi,
What value have you chosen for the Cap on the 40106 osc ??

Do you have a circuit to post showing the full circuit.??

I've changed absolutely nothing in the setup (very first link), I've sticked completely to Sebastian Tomczak's instructions.

0.1uF capacitor @input 4/pin 9
0.22uF capacitor @input 1/pin 1

I've changed absolutely nothing in the setup (very first link), I've sticked completely to Sebastian Tomczak's instructions.

0.1uF capacitor -> input 4/pin 9
0.22uF capacitor -> input 1/pin 1

0.1uF capacitor -> input 4/pin 9
0.22uF capacitor -> input 1/pin 1

hi,
You cannot just change 4040 for a 4017...
Did you look at the pdf I posted earlier.??

You cannot just change 4040 for a 4017...
Did you look at the pdf I posted earlier.??

Sorry, I'm not all to good in reading circuits yet. The 4017 was my suggestion, for it looked similar to the 4040, function wise. I'm trying to stick to Sebastian Tomczak's setup as close as I can (for now), but without the octaves (enforced by the 4040).

Best,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back