Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4029 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sword

Newbie here, need help

I have a count-down timer with the 4029 connected to a 4511 cascading with another 4029. I set up the circuit to my knowledge but the counter does not actually count but stays on 00.
The problem most likely is that i have a lot of the pins on the 4029 free and i have no idea where they should go.
they include:

Pin1: Present Enable
Pin 3: Pam Input 4
Pin 4: Jam Input 1
Pin 5: Clock enable
Pin 9: Binary/Decade (i know this has to go either to the postive or
negative but i don't know which rail for which
setting)
Pin 10: Up/Down (same with this one)
Pin 12/13: Jam inputs (again)

i've had a look at document sheets and stuff about this chip but dont get a thing!, if anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated, thanks

The datasheet https://xoomer.virgilio.it/tekno5/data/4029/HEF4029B_CNV_3.pdf
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/CD/CD4511BC.pdf

pins 3,4,12,13 are used to load the counter with a specific value, say you want the counter to count down from 7, then you would bring pins 4,12,13 high and pin 3 low. then to make the counter load this input, you will bring the parrallel load pin 1, high for a clock pulse.

Since you are using the 4511, which converts a binary number to a 7 seg. diplay, then you'll want the counter to count in binary which means you'll bring pin 9 high.

pin 5 (Clock enable) is used to tell the 4029 to count whenever it sees a clock pulse. The little bar above the CE in the datasheet means it is active when brought low, so you'll just connect this to ground for it to count.

Pin 10 is the up/down control. If you want the counter to count up, bring it high, count down, bring it low.

ok, with that out of the way, what are you using for your clock?
Also, a schematic of what you have would be very helpful.

Since you are using the 4511, which converts a binary number to a 7 seg. diplay, then you'll want the counter to count in binary which means you'll bring pin 9 high.
The 4511 is a BCD decoder/driver. Its output will be blank for Hex inputs A-F. The counter needs to count in BCD, so tie pin 9 low.

Good call on that RonH. I didnt even look at the function diagram in the datasheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back