Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthompson

how can i connect up a 4017 counting ic so that i can just use a switch for the clock input and also how would i make it reset after say count four?

The 4017 can count every bounce from the contacts of a switch. The contacts bounce many times. Look in google for a simple debounce circuit.
Connect the 5th output to the Reset pin to stop it from counting higher.

debounced

ok i denounced my switch and it still isn't acting the way i intended I have leds connected to T2 T3 T4 and T7 and - connected to T8 positive 9V to T16 and t15,T16 are jumpered and I have the switch in between T14 and positive 9V
the problem is only the led connected to T3 lights up and no others ever any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated

ok i denounced my switch and it still isn't acting the way i intended I have leds connected to T2 T3 T4 and T7 and - connected to T8 positive 9V to T16 and t15,T16 are jumpered and I have the switch in between T14 and positive 9V
the problem is only the led connected to T3 lights up and no others ever any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated
You have it connected completely wrong:
1) Pin 16 is for the positive supply voltage.
2) Pin 8 is for the 0V supply voltage.
3) The Reset pin 15 and Clock Enable pin 13 must be at 0V or the counter will not work.
4) The Clock pin 14 needs a resistor to ground (try 10k ohms) then the switch makes it go positive with many bounces.

The LED on pin 3 lights all the time because you have the counter reset all the time.

Post a schematic showing how you connected everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back