Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4017 Decade counter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, I want to connect 2 decade counters so I can count to 100. I thought to do that you used 2 4017's and the divide by 10 output was the clock input to the second 4017. I put it all together and it went crazy because I think I have some bad pin sockets, is that the way they work or should I clock input the second 4017 from the 9 output on the first 4017 ?

You use the CO (Carry Out) pin 12 of the first stage to feed the clock in of the second stage. You are "Cascading" the 4017s.

Ron

EDIT: This Link should help.

Last edited:
These dont have CO pins, they have "divide by 10" that must be it right, cuz it was working except I dont think that second counters reset is supposed to bring grounded or held low ? because I can never get back to one.

These dont have CO pins, they have "divide by 10" that must be it right, cuz it was working except I dont think that second counters reset is supposed to bring grounded or held low ? because I can never get back to one.

You really need to look at the datasheet and pay attention to pin 12 as already advised by Reloadron.

OK, one more time. Note the attached image. It is taken directly from the link I posted earlier. The 4017 is a Decade Counter / Decoder and Pin 12 is known as a CO (Carry Out) as in when the counter counts 0 through 9 you get a carry function. Each positive clock transition at pin 14 (Clock In) advances the counter one count. During clock pulses 0 through 4 pin 12 remains low and then clock pulses 5 through 9 it transitions high. This is how 4017 counters are cascaded. Look at the image. Additionally it clearly shows how to tie your remaining pins to do what you want to do.

Ron

Attachments

• 4017 Cascade.gif
    4017 Cascade.gif
    50 KB · Views: 3,184
Reload, Thanks I didnt see that last night, I just drew what mine was doing and I see you dont need to connect zero on the second IC, Thanks. Jim

Attachments

• 2 decade counters to 100.JPG
    2 decade counters to 100.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 757
Glad you have it working Jim.

Ron

Well I know how to hook it up now, I ruined em both, I dont know what happened, either connected them to too high an open voltage from my walkie talkie charger or something, point is I know now to not use that zero output. Now I have to wait for my dealer (Wallco) in Wilkes-Barre Pa to get more, Im gonna get 3 and count to a thousand... My dad has a small store and I take the back way and see the employees always in the back takin breaks, my dad is curious, not a nut buster but he asked if there was a way to know how many times that back door is open at night, cuz its only supposed to be open for 2 shift breaks, they go for a smoke or whatever, I dont care what they do we just wanna let em know that we know and dont take advantage..... and I wanna thank you for your help.. Jim

Well I know how to hook it up now, I ruined em both, I dont know what happened, either connected them to too high an open voltage from my walkie talkie charger or something, point is I know now to not use that zero output. Now I have to wait for my dealer (Wallco) in Wilkes-Barre Pa to get more, Im gonna get 3 and count to a thousand... My dad has a small store and I take the back way and see the employees always in the back takin breaks, my dad is curious, not a nut buster but he asked if there was a way to know how many times that back door is open at night, cuz its only supposed to be open for 2 shift breaks, they go for a smoke or whatever, I dont care what they do we just wanna let em know that we know and dont take advantage..... and I wanna thank you for your help.. Jim
Be very careful how you sense the opening of the door. Do it wrong, and you can get multiple counts for each opening and/or closing. It would be a shame to lose employees due to them being falsely accused.

Last edited:
Here is a way to avoid false clocking (switch bouncing) of the counter(s).

The TLE4905 (Infineon Technologies) Hall sensor provides clean square wave outputs to be used as clock signal.

Board size is 0.7X0.9inches.

PM me for Eagle files.

Boncuk

Attachments

• HALL-SENSOR-SCH.gif
    HALL-SENSOR-SCH.gif
    12 KB · Views: 993
  • HALL-SENSOR-BRD.gif
    HALL-SENSOR-BRD.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Status