Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4017 decade counter weird problem // reset not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amando96

hi, just got my self a 4017 decade counter from the shop, wired it up with a 555 timer, works perfectly with 10 LEds, though when i connect the reset to pin 1 only led nº1 and led nº5 are on(and not flashing)this is important because i don't want to flash LEDs with it, i want to drive a stepper motor...

why is this happening?
this is the schematic:
**broken link removed**

though i disconnected the reset from GND, and connected it to pin 1.
am i missing something?

The supply bypass capacitor is only 0.01uf. Add a 10uf to 100uF capacitor to hold the supply voltage up when the 555 shorts it with its 400mA current spike.
Or use a low current Cmos 555.

Same thing happens, only sequences the first 3 LEDs, i added a 100µF per device, so a 100µF near the 555, and a 100µF near the 4017, could it be damaged or something?

EDIT:

here's what happens, reset to ground, all leds sequence(10leds), reset on Q3, 2 leds sequence, reset on Q4, 3 leds sequence, if i put the reset, on anything over Q4, all leds sequence(10leds)

Last edited by a moderator:
Amando, are you connecting the Pin 15 directly to the Output (leds anodes)? or to that 1K resistor (leds cathodes)?

Directly to the output.

But it works now!
After breakfast i went to try it again, and it worked, maybe there was something on the breadboard short circuiting...

anyway thanks guys :)

Breadboards are always full of intermittent connections. Solder the darn circuit on a pcb or on stripboard to make it work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back