Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4017 decade counter cascade

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrymonkey

I am wanting to make a led chaser circuit that will sequence 200 leds {to go around my living room} I cannot fine any circuit that will sequence any more than 10, using a cd4017, can any one help me find a circuit that will sequence about 200 leds, a led chaser.

What pattern do you want? If you want only one LED out of 200 on at a time, then you need a circuit with 200 individual outputs.

But if you want say, a one of three pattern that moves, or some similar repeating pattern, then it becomes doable with a single 4017 or a small microcontroller.

Depending on the required LED current, transistor driver stages may also be needed.
If the LEDs are to be individually switched on, your wiring bundle (201 wires) will be pretty thick!

been doing more research, a binary counter and decoder maybe, for the wire im using ribbon cable would like one led on at a time sequece

You can chain two 4017s together.
The first one will count 0,1,2,---9.
The second one will count 0,10,20,....90.
Then using a simple two input gate.....(this LED is on when wire 3 and wire 60 are on)

That gets you to 100 LEDs one at a time.

Thank you this idea gets me thinking a different scheme, do it in a matrix sort of, the 200 is not firm number, if I use 3 input gates or gate the gates, thanks again for the idea

Most datasheets for a CD4017 show how to cascade many of them together.

Attachments

• cascaded 4017s-1.PNG
    cascaded 4017s-1.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 353
Very helpful info here. Thanks!
I'm looking to do a similar thing, with a digital clock input, that gives me a signal every hour, then gives me one output (Via the cascaded CD4017s) every hour, up to 24 hours. This will serve a a "taking medications reminder"....

Hi Henry
Have you looked at smart 5v LED string with a simple controller?
They are cheap and work on a 3-wire system which are daisy chained. Typically they come in 5meter long (16.4 ft).
this will save you tons of work, wiring, and down the road you can change the sequence!
EG

Attachments

• SmartPixel.jpg
    SmartPixel.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 137
Thanks,
Although I'm looking for a total of 168 outputs, this is a great idea and will help me make a simple prototype!
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back