Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4017 16 Pin decade counter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, I'm brained out for the night, I have my Schmitt trigger pulsing (adjustable via a potentiometer) Now I wanna hook up my 4017 decade counter. It has 16 pins and the diagram I went by had pin 12 not used, 14 for the zero volt pulse clock input, high outputs for 0-9 and the rest of the pins to zero volts, well it no workie so I'm spent for the night, any help much appreciated, I'll check back. Jim

Pin 8 is your common or 0 volts and Pin 16 is your power at 3 to 15 volts.

The chip when clocked on Pin 14 will sequentially make 1 of 10 outputs go high for each incoming clock pulse on pin 14. The count takes place when pins 13 ((clock enable) and 15 (reset) are held low. Remember for counting to happen that pin 13 must be low.

Ron

How is the 4017 reset? This circuit you describe resembles a roulette wheel driver, or a light chaser.

For normal counting pin 15 the reset pin is held low. To initiate a reset and clear the count the reset pin 15 is placed at high.

Yes a count to N and recycle would be a light chaser as the count would sequentially count from 0 to 9 and repeat (recycle). If you wanted to do a count to N and halt you would tie pin 13 (clock enable) to N as in if I want to count to 5 and halt I would tie pin 13 to pin 1. When the count sequenced to 5 (pin 1) then pin 1 would go high and disable the clock. The count stops at 5 and will remain there until power is removed or the reset pin 15 were placed at a low.

Actually a count to N and recycle would look like this if the outputs were driving LEDs.

**broken link removed**

I tried to add an animated gif image with a link but it won't work for me:

https://www.bearblain.com/LED 10.gif

Ron

Last edited:
the chaser worked for me on your link, thats how i had it hooked up, maybe i was just tired, i'll try again in the morning. thanks a lot.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back